Feb 22, 2012

Hooray

So for those of you who don't know, and frankly I believe there are only maybe 3 people who read this bog and therefore you DO know, I have been wanting to get weight loss surgery ever since I heard about it about 12 years ago. I never had insurance that would cover it which was always extremely discouraging to me.
In fact, about three years ago I thought our insurance would cover it so I went to a long information class where I was told I would die if I didn't get weight loss surgery. I thought and then said," Well, sign me up!". My excitement was short lived as I was told again that my surgery would not be covered by my insurance. You will die if you get this surgery but you can't get the surgery. I thought it was so cruel. I left feeling discouraged and morbidly obese in all senses of the phrase.

However, When Mike got the U of D job in November I immediately got on the ball. I made sure that we picked the plan that specifically covered weight loss surgery so I would not have any questions about being approved. I immediately started the process. Now when I say process I mean, sincerly one of the most tedious and painful processes that I can imagine. Every test you can imagine.Ultrasounds, x rays, psychiatric testing, pulmonary testing, sleep testing, an endoscopy, an ARTERIAL BLOOD GAS and yes, even a rectal exam. All this on top of what seemed like gallons of blood being taken out. All the tests came back normal and I was told time and again that I was an excellent candidate for surgery .However, we couldn't submit it to the insurance company until I had 90 days of nutrition counseling. Finally, on February 17th I finished my class nutrition appointment and I was submitted for approval. Yesterday, while out with a who was encouraging me that things will look up soon,I got a call saying that I had BEEN APPROVED!!!!! Thank the LORD JESUS. Now, the surgery is set for May 17th unless they get a cancellation. So, that's my story. Dreams do come true.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for the changes ahead, and I am so proud of you for all the work you've done to make this happen. I love you so much! --Linds

Jessica said...

Mer--this is AMAZING. I am so excited for you; I am sorry for all the tests, but wow--you have working so hard for this and I am so glad that a date has been set and your life is changing for the better. Yay, my friend--so happy to celebrate this time with you! :)