Apr 10, 2009

My sensitive palate

You know, I am a really picky eater. You might not think so to see me because well, I am overweight and it looks like I love food. I do love some food but on the whole I find, even more so now than when I was younger, that there isn't too much that I find delicious. There aren't too many foods that I think are a taste sensation(one of my favorite things to declare something). More often than not these days I find myself saying,"This is NOT a taste sensation".

For instance, I used to love Chinese food. Or at least I thought I did. Tonight I realized that I like aspects of Chinese food. I like crispy noodles. I like egg rolls. I like duck sauce. I like a few bites of general Tso's or Sesame chicken but then I get sick of it. I tasted the Wanton soup that Mike said was tasty. I wrinkled my nose mid bite and said,"Not tasty". I ate some of my pan fried noodles with chicken. It was tolerable but I primarily enjoyed the soy sauce I put on top of it. I didn't eat much and Mike can have my left overs.

We get pizza one a week usually. That is because I am married to a bonafide pizza LOVER. I was going to say pizzaholic but I HATE when people add -aholic to stuff. It makes no sense. It would be pizzaic or chocolateic or shopic. Anyway, Mike can eat pizza everyday. That is not an exaggeration. When we were dating I believe he ate some form of pizza everyday. He thinks it is delicious. Sometimes I think pizza is delicious but it has to be perfect. I like pizza, don't get me wrong, but it takes a lot for me to really love a piece of pizza. I think odd things are delicious. I think they are odd. Saltine crackers with butter. I place the butter on the salted side and place that side on my tongue. I let the butter melt a little and then smell the cracker. Smelling the wet saltine makes it more delicious. I think that is DELICIOUS. I could eat that everyday. Cinnamon Toast crunch in ice cold milk. DELICIOUS. Actually, I like a lot of cereal in milk.

Anyway, that was on my mind.

3 comments:

Beth said...

I love the saltine bit...
You know what though, I go through seasons of loving food and then seasons of just really being unimpressed. I wish the latter happened more often though.

Jessica said...

I too am married to a pizza-lover (good point about how adding "aholic" to something does not makes sense unless it is specifically about alcohol, btw).
On drew's birthday I told him we could eat WHATEVER he wanted (which for me would have at least meant going OUT to eat!). Drew chose to buy a frozen pizza from the grocery store and we ate it together at home.

I love saltines, though I have not tried them with butter. I also love cereal and find it quite a taste sensation.

merry said...

Betharoo, I agree with you whole heartedly. I often wish I could just stop eating when I don't love something.

Jess, I cannot believe Drew picked frozen pizza. That is hilarious. Mike would at least want to order a pizza. HAHA.