Feb 18, 2008

Going off Lexapro

Wow. It is insane. On Saturday morning I had one of my withdrawal meltdowns. Sobbing, sobbing, hypervenilating, sobbing, shaking, can't understand words. My whole body hurts like someone has been pummeling me from all sides and stabbing me in the back. My breasts hurt like I am pregnant. I get really overwhelmed really quickly and then I snap. It is literally like I cannot wrap my head around simple things. Then I take a bit of Lexapro and it is ok. So as of now I take 10mg when I am experiencing withdrawal...every couple of days. Then I will go down to 5mg....ETC. I used to take 20mg a day. I have read that people gain 70lbs in a year on Lexapro. So I am not that strange. I can't write anymore.

2 comments:

jason j said...

slow withdrawal is best.. hang in there.. it should get better :)

From the literature:

Symptoms commonly reported are dizziness, nausea, vomiting, headache, insomnia, agitation, sweating, lethargy, and tremor. Many other flu-like, psychiatric, and neurological effects, such as hallucinations and electric shock-like sensations, have also occurred. SSRI discontinuation syndromes typically appear after at least 4 to 5 weeks of treatment.

Withdrawal symptoms usually appear within 1 week of therapy cessation or dose reduction, and resolve over 1 to 3 weeks.

Jen said...

Mer, I'll pray for a smooth withdrawl time. I know changing meds at all can be so tumultuous.